The Village In Howard is looking for enthusiastic volunteers for a wide range of tasks. Please help create a supportive community that will enable members “age in place” and continue to actively engage in community life. Because the Village In Howard is just beginning, volunteers will need to bring a pioneer spirit to their roles as we learn together what members want and need.
All interested adults aged 18 and above. You do not have to be a member of TVIH to volunteer.
Village members are also invited to volunteer.
- Provide direct assistance to our Village members . . . This may be friendly visiting; driving members to appointments; helping with shopping, errands, pet care, computers or gadgets; or doing minor home repairs, yard work or small tasks that require climbing or lifting.
- Assist the Board with planning, administrative and organizational work. Examples include: scheduling volunteers, answering the Village phone, fundraising, recruiting members and helping plan educational programs or social events
If you have talents or interests that aren’t listed on our website, tell us about them—the services and activities the Village offers depend on the pool of people we have who are interested in doing them and the corresponding interests and needs of members!
Volunteer Application Process
All volunteers, staff, and board members must undergo a background check. Volunteers, who drive members, must also undergo Department of Motor Vehicle checks and submit proof of current auto insurance. Please review, print and complete the TVIH DISCLOSURE AND AUTHORIZATION FORM - Rev Aprl 2018 form and mail with your application to:
The Village in Howard
After your application has been received, you will be called for an interview to determine your interests and availability.
PO Box 1276
Columbia, MD 21044
Orientation and Training
All volunteers are asked to participate in a group or individual orientation. A Volunteer Handbook
will be provided at that time. Training will be offered to volunteers providing specific services and as needed to all volunteers.
Accepting Volunteer Assignments
- Administrative or organizational volunteers might sign up for particular tasks on a regular schedule, or help with a specific event. Many of these tasks can be completed by volunteers working at home.
- Direct service volunteers may accept assignments as their schedule permits. To expedite meeting service requests, service volunteers can establish regular days and times or agree to review their e-mail or phone messages regularly, to respond to unscheduled or urgent requests received.
- Direct service volunteers will receive confirmation from the Village office when they have been assigned to a task and at that time will receive the contact information for the member who has requested the service.
Still have questions? Please Contact Us. We will get back to you!